2018 is here to stay! We are hoping the new year finds you well and that the coming months are full of growth, achievement and love. That is the plan for Phakamani staff and clients. We have another full year ahead of us and with the support of friends like you and God we will continue to reach worthwhile goals.
Phakamani ended 2017 by reaching some notable milestones:
- Our Size – we now serve 26 800 active clients (25% growth over last year)
- Our reach – we issued 7 790 loans to first time clients
- Our depth – we issued 20 620 loans to repeat clients
- Our clients business growth – the loan balance to clients as at end of Nov was R33.3mil (a 50% increase over last year). In this difficult economy, clients have been growing their businesses!
- Our branches – we now have 28 branches in 3 provinces (6 more than last year)
- Our Efficiency – We upgraded the computer system and rolled out tablets to all of our loan officers
In 2018 we plan to roll out another 6 new branches and continue to assist our clients in growing their existing businesses.
EXCITING UPDATES FROM THE FIELD
- Phakamani Foundation’s growth continues to be very strong. In fact we grew 50% over last year.
- We are piloting a few changes to our operating model: groups of six borrows instead of groups of five and six month loans instead of four. We are waiting for a whole cycle to end and at that point we will determine what percentage of these clients come back for a repeat loan. If it is successful, those clients that move to a 6 month loan will experience a 25% reduction in their fees from Phakamani.
- At the start of the year we aimed at acquiring a European funding partner and today we are happy to report we have three funding partners committed to partner with Phakamani for three years.
- Phakamani’s mobile system has now been rolled out to all branches! That means 170 loan officers now have up to the minute information about the clients at their fingertips.
- The Phakamani US Fund had another successful annual event in Minnesota in January. It was a wonderful evening. Thanks to all who came out.